Tuesday, September 11, 2012

the gift that keeps on giving

How long can an almond briwat last? The answer: hypothetically forever.

North African hospitality means putting forth one´s best and being generous with what one has and has been given. A practical example of this was an experience I had during my recent visit to a North African country. It was nearing the end of day 2 or day 3 of a traditional wedding--what an unforgettable time! I was already full of food and sweets, but before leaving, we were all loaded up with several more baked goodies containing almonds, dates, and other dried fruits and nuts. Each guest was also provided with a napkin and a little satchel to wrap them up and bring home to enjoy later.

Sweets to enjoy during the wedding
The take-home goodies



The next day, my friend had a tea for her female relatives. She had several goodies to bring out, but on prominent display were the wedding treats. She was showing true hospitality and offering her best. The women sipped on tea and nibbled on one or two treats, but the majority of the food remained on plates and platters. Before leaving though, my friend made sure to load up napkins for each guest, making sure each lady got one of the special wedding goodies to take home and enjoy later.

The pretty napkin and satchel
All wrapped up to give again

I began to sense a pattern. I smiled as I wondered how many of those women would entertain tea in their homes the following day, and in turn send those same goodies home with their guests. Potentially, one of those wedding sweets could go from hostess to guest to napkin, ad infinitum. It would almost be a pity to be the one to break that long chain and actually eat the sweet! Now that I think of it, how many times did I?

1 comment:

  1. looks so yummy! so cool that you were able to share part of the wedding week with us

    ReplyDelete